Sew What Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LondonPop Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2012 12:17:37 PM(UTC)
SewDaddy

Groups: Administrators

We have seen so many lovely featherweights damaged over the years. Here are a few tips to avoid dissapointment when packing and boxing up a Singer Featherweight sewing machine.

1) Remove the spool pin plate! By far the most common damage is a broken spool pin plate and or damaged case caused by the spool pin punching throuh at the top. The spool pin plate is the black plate on top of your machine with a steel pin sticking out the top. Take it off, and wrap it seperately with the screw.

2) Do not attach the foot pedal to the top of the case While the footpedal is meant to fit nicely under the lid of the case in its little bracket, shipping it this way will sometimes cause it to break. If the case gets dropped upside down, and it usually will be even if you have direction stickers all over the box, the rather brittle bakelite foot control will sometimes break. And because the pedal protects you from getting shocked, even the smallest problem will require replacement. Wrap the footpedal seperately and make sure it does not lye between the machine and the top of the case.

3) Pack the case very tightly I have heard of people worrying about the lid hinges being strained, although in my opinion the odds are far higher that the machine will be damaged from loose packing allowing the machine to move around inside. In fact, I have seen so many machines damaged from loose packing, I have lost count. And I have yet to see a case damaged from packing which was too tight. Pack the case with something substantial! Think bubblewrap or styrofoam. If you use something flimsy like wadded up newspaper, you could very well see the machine in peices at the other end of its journey.

4) Protect the outside of the case Part of the value of your featherweight is the case condition. Protect it with ideally with at least one layer of bubblewrap, then a STURDY cardboard box.

I hope you find this helpful, please pm me with any comments or revision requests.

Edited by user Monday, May 28, 2012 2:20:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified